The threatening situation that needs an immediate action is Emergency.
Immediate and effective emergency response helps to avoid the intensification of an event into disaster. Inappropriate and inadequate management during the emergency response worsen the situation, increase losses than when the response is non-existent. Flood Safety Checklist
Source: Practical Action
The purpose of the emergency response is to ensure
- Delegation of emergency authority
- Assignment of emergency responsibilities
- Documentation of emergency procedures and processes
- Coordination of emergency efforts internally and with external parties
- Safe continuation of essential operations, while crisis is being managed
- Proactive identification of all possible emergency events/scenarios and their corresponding mitigation actions
The response should be well-planned and well-coordinated in the form of Emergency response plan. Emergency response plan acts as a guide to decide how to take actions during emergency, through active participation of vulnerable population in all the steps of problem identification and decision making. It delineates the roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders that are to be involved, actions taken, coordination arrangements and communication channels to be used.
An effective and efficient Emergency Response plan should include and address the following sectors: http://www.sphereproject.org/resources/download-publications/ search=1&keywords=&language=English&category=22
- Communication and dissemination
- Search and rescue
- First Aid
- Shelter and shelter management
- Water and sanitation
- Data collection
The simulation drill of emergency response plan should be carried out before the onset of disaster so as to realize the effectiveness and efficiency of response. The response plan should be updated since the hazard, vulnerability and capacity changes over time.
You may also visit http://www.un-spider.org/
You may also refer to Emergency