On Wednesday 9 September at 7pm Bangladesh Standard Time Zurich Flood Resilience Alliance partners Practical Action, Concern Worldwide, and Mercy Corps invite you to attend a webinar in the impacts of floods and Coronavirus on the poorest people in Bangladesh.
This year’s monsoon has resulted in intense floods and landslides with many communities displaced as a result. Simultaneously the Bangladesh population is severely impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic, both its impact on people’s health (by 24th August 3,941 deaths from Covid-19 have been reported) and finances. Many people have lost their incomes as a result of lockdown and economic recession in Bangladesh and globally. Worst affected are daily wage earners, people who live hand to mouth on what they are able to earn each day.
At the advent of monsoon season Practical Action, Concern Worldwide, and Mercy Corps conducted an assessment of 15 Union Disaster Management Committees (UMDC) across three districts in Bangladesh resulting in the report Monsoon, floods and COVID-19: building community resilience in Bangladesh and a subsequent update. These reports help provide relevant background understanding on the topics discussed in the webinar.
The webinar coordinated by Alliance Partners working with communities in Bangladesh to build flood resilience is aimed at representatives from local and national government, civil society organizations, and national and international NGOs and will focus on flood prone communities’ experiences of the combined threat of floods and Covid-19 (including the unemployment and poverty it has brought).
The aim is to provide recommendations for government, international donors, and NGOs working with communities impacted by these challenges.
About the webinar
- Chair: Dr. Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad, Chairman of Palli Karma Sahayak Foundation (PKSF)
- Key Note Paper Presentation: Sayeed M. Riadh, Head of Programme at Concern Worldwide and Afsari Begum, Sr. DRR Specialist at Practical Action
- Dr. Tapan Sarkar, Associate Professor at Griffith university, Australia
- Mr. Atul Sarker, Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate Faridpur
- Ms. Jesmin Nahar, Vice-chairman of Hatibandha Upazilla Parishad, Lalmonirhat.
- Md. Ibrahim Khalilullah, Chairman of Belka Union Council, Sundarganj Upazila, Gaibandha.
- Mr. Mohammad Manirul Islam, Deputy Secretary for Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change
- Mr. Shamsuddin Ahmed, Director of Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD)
- Mr. Md. Arifuzzaman Bhuyan, Executive Engineer at Flood Forecasting and Warning Centre, Bangladesh Water Development Board
Date, time, and place
Wednesday 9 September at 7-8.30 pm Bangladesh Standard Time
The webinar will be hosted on Zoom. No pre-registration is required and you can access the webinar using this link the meeting ID 823 4843 1307 or copy and pasting this url in your search bar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82348431307
The webinar will be recorded and the recording will be made available on the Flood Resilience Portal.